You remember that post I wrote last year about non-negotiables? Well, a few weeks ago I quit my job with no backup plan because my boss had driven me to the breaking point. It was a miserable environment to work in and it just wasn’t worth it to stay there anymore, despite having awesome co-workers, a nice paycheck and amazing benefits (plus I had already met the deductible on my insurance 😥 ). But truly, I am so much happier and better off for having left, and despite all my fears and doubts about pulling the plug on my job with no new job to go to, I have no regrets about it.
So what have I been doing in the meantime?
- I have a job at a gourmet cheese shop (hard life, right?)
- Applying to jobs
- Reading up on the ins and outs of being a freelance writer/editor. It makes sense to pursue that considering that’s where all of my professional experience has been so far, and I’m good at and enjoy both of those things anyway. But SO many people have blogged/written about freelancing that you slog through reading it, especially when they’re all trying to sell you something. “Buy my e-books about freelancing and how liberating and lucrative it is!” “Get this e-book for free when you sign up for my e-mail!” (I can’t tell you how many of those I signed up for… -__- )
- Taking classes on travel writing for publications and screenwriting. Screenwriting has been something I’ve been meaning to get into for ages and just never have. I figure it’s time to get more serious about it so I can try and get my ideas out in the world. In July, I start a continuing education class at Georgetown, which I’m really excited about. (Not going to lie, I was really hoping I could get a Georgetown ID out of it so I could be like, “Oh yeah, I’m a student at Georgetown” and get student discounts. Oh well, I’ll have to settle for a Georgetown e-mail address.)
- Reading. After not having read Dean Koontz in years, his Ashley Bell has me hooked. I’ve also been keeping an eye on the contents of the little free library in my local organic grocery, by which means I have finally obtained a copy of Gone Girl.
- Having lots of singalongs in the house when my roommates aren’t here. This afternoon it was John Mayer’s Room for Squares, that high school-era quintessential album for millennials trying to figure out their lives; haven’t listened to it in years and still remember all the words.
I haven’t planned any trips as of yet, but I hope to go somewhere before the end of the summer. We’ll have to see what happens!
What are your exciting summer plans?